Ruin Ravens

Continuing their investigation, the group headed into the ship itself, scouring it for the captain’s log. It became clear after a quick search that the surviving crew had abandoned the ship after the crash, and had taken things such as the captain’s log with them.

Into the tower the trio went, and it was decided to search the upper levels of the tower first. They soon found a camp amid the ruins that was recent, the sailors had laid their heads here, before being attacked by something. The camp was in shambles, but amongst the wreckage was an overturned chest which they opened to reveal the captain’s log and personal effects.

Though their mission was technically at an end, they were curious (and had been promised that anything they found on the shard was theirs to keep) and so the trio continued upward. Perhaps they should have left well enough alone.

You see, the top of the tower was home to a nest of ruin ravens. They nasty creatures, some foot and a half long, with a two to three foot wing span are known for their viciousness and bad disposition, especially if their nests are disturbed. Such was the case.

The birds attacked with a viciousness, swarming with pecking beaks and raking claws. The battle took only moments, but by the time it was ended, both He’catl and Dr. VonClick were injured. They did the best they could to patch themselves up, but it quickly became apparent that it was in their best interests to hastily remove themselves from the danger of the ruins.

On the way back, the log was read, and it was determined that Antonius Rulgar is looking for something called a convergence node. The log doesn’t really say what the node is, the captain of the Raven didn’t know. Rulgar gave them a captured tentacled beast that would become agitated when it neared the convergence node. This was how they were to detect it. The last entry talked of getting near Eagle’s Point and that was when the beast started to stir.

Upon arriving back in Westgate, the companions nursed their wounded and decided to turn the book over to Antonius Rulgar. Upon reading it Rulgar decided that he would like to pay them for the shard (which he had promised them as part of the reward). They negotiated for a sloop and a high tier shard (in a far off corner of Cronus).

To Eagle's Point

My masters, the rulers of the new kingdom of Summit are far too busy to record their own adventures, so it falls to me, their humble scribe to set down for posterity how the kingdom came to be. It started, as many of these sorts of tales do, with a help wanted poster. A master merchant named Antonius Rulgar of Westgate, was looking for adventurous types that he could hire to recover an item of some import for him. He had sent a ship on an exploration mission, and the data recorded in the ship log was of utmost importance to him, so he hired the first of my masters to retrieve the log.

They were three in those days. Dr. Von Click, a Kreen scientist might have been called the radical thinker of the group. He had studied for years the effects of the storms on the lower tier shards, and was convinced that they were under attack or being consumed by the storms. We had no idea at the time how right he was. With him was the monk He’catl, a Saurian who studied the wind with a focused mind, channeling it through his own body. Sureal rounded out the initial members of the team. Hot headed and sure, Sureal was a fire elementalist that also knew his way around a blade and wheelhouse. Like most Sidhe, family and honor mean a lot to Sureal. Eventually the kingdom of Summit would become his family, but in those days he was still obsessed with actual bloodlines and the like.

The terms of the deal were fairly modest if not a little generous, which some might have thought would tip off the wayward three to the dangers that they might face. Without hesitation though, they hired on and soon found themselves on the skiff Sky Shriek, captained by a Rakashan named Ner’ahn. The journey was uneventful, even if the Sky Shriek’s quarters were a little cramped.

Soon they found themselves at Eagle’s Point, an older ruin consisting mainly of a large tower on the center of the shard. The shard itself is only a few hundred feet across maybe three hundred deep. It was here that Master Rulgar’s galleon, the Raven had found its final resting place. Something had gone terribly wrong (which the masters would later reveal) and the ship had plowed into the side of the tower then come to rest at a steep incline along the side of the tower.

Captain Ner’ahn docked his vessel and bid my masters good luck, he was not getting paid to leave the vessel and go adventuring.

The intrepid trio explored the ruins around the tower, finding burned remains and several other bodies to one side of the ship. That is when the horror began. Three tentacles, as thick as a man’s leg burst from the wreckage of the ship and impaled themselves into a trio of corpses. They pulsed for a few moments, then they bodies jerked to life. The dead rose with a malevolent look in their eyes and angrily charged my masters.

It was a hard fight.

Sureal and He’catl both knew their way around a fight, but their weapons proved almost ineffective against the corpses. The good doctor on the other hand, had his elemental bolt throwing pistol at his side, but in the middle of the fight it jammed. In the end, the three corpses were dispatched (rekilled?) but both not without shaking some nerves.

The group continued with their mission after a short rest, to steel their nerves.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.